My company stated its closed due to covi...

Asked by Subject on 01-09-2020 12:57:03
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

My company stated its closed due to covid-19 and the economy. But none of the managers lost there jobs and they are still currently working at the same premise/building that they stated is closed.. and doing existing work. Is that fair?. Have I been removed from my place of work unfairly?

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 03-09-2020 11:08:41

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

No. It sounds as if the company has simply let you go. This is not fair and a breach of your employee rights. You need to contact the company and tell them that you are still an employee and that you need to be paid, and that you're coming back to work.

If they refuse, then you must lodge a dispute with the CCMA.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.