Question on behalf of my son: two partie...

Asked by Wilfre on 16-09-2020 16:34:16
Question posted in the Divorce Law category relating to Free State

Question on behalf of my son: two parties plan to split up for the time being and not entering into a formal divorce. They are busy drafting an informal settlement agreement for this purpose. What is the annual escalation percentage for maintenance in such a settlement please? The one party claims that according to our law it should be 10%. 10% may be a bit high as the inflation rate is far less as well as yearly salary increases. Is it possible to calculate yearly escalation according to the CPI?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.