Good day. My son went into business with...

Asked by Frieda on 18-09-2020 14:16:40
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

Good day. My son went into business with 2 other people and I bought 2 cars on terms through bank on my name for them to use. The agreement was that they pay the monthly installment over to me. The business failed and with Covid I have not received payments and the bank want the installments from me. These other 2 people did "rent" out the cars to someone else again, who did not pay the installments and disappeared with the cars. Nor they or the cars can be found. What can I do with regard to the first 2 people who had the cars to either get it back or get something sorted out with the bank, because now I must pay for vehicles which is not even in my possession and I do not have the funds to pay for the cars anyway. 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 19-09-2020 19:05:30

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

You're in a very sticky position, because the bank would sue you in terms of your loan agreement. You would sue your son's business in terms of your agreement with the business. The business would sue the people that they rented the cars to and would try to retrieve the cars, to give them back to you, so you could then sell them to pay the bank!

You need to know that the bank is going to sue you for breaching the instalment sale agreement and there is not a lot that you can do to stop that from happening. 

You need to find the cars, one way or another, and then get them back!

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.