My spouse and I have been in Italy due t...

Asked by Chants1 on 15-10-2020 18:23:10
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Eastern Cape

My spouse and I have been in Italy due to elder commitments required by Italian law for over 20 years

 The other sibling completely abandoned this  duty which under Italian law Is a compulsory duty.

Over the years we have tried to contact the other sibling over neccessary cosignatory issues, largely the other sibling responded,only if the interests were to his direct benefit , but largely ignored or avoided all' contact.

Eventually we gave up, because the municipality where the sibling was born, says he Is untraceable.

Recently I discovered by accident that the sibling Is deceased, 6 months after the fact

The estate has already been publically declared, and yet , despite every possible legal channel, we are unable to get a death certificate, in order to free my spouse to tie up longstanding issues here in Italy.

Without going into detail, I have fine through every legitimate channel, I could name them, but briefly, the local Police, the Italian consulate in Cape Town, the master of the High Court, the school where the widow and second wife Is employed, various  free advice legal agencies, finally the widow sent me an email with permission to contact the estate attorney,  who simply has not replied to my request.

We need this document urgently , due to

possible legal prescription periods etc

Could you help us?

Thank you

Chantelle Dower

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.