sister of mine was paid for lobola and t...

Asked by khindlimukam on 28-11-2020 13:19:23
Question posted in the Divorce Law category relating to Gauteng

sister of mine was paid for lobola and the partner was charged R30000 and he managed to pay R20000 and after as Tsonga People if you want to take your bride with Even when you have not finished the lobola, we have a thing called "asking for water" which means you can't afford to finish the money now due to financial reasons but you asking the family to give you your bride to go with and for her to be a wife to you. The groom and his family asked for that. Now they are not living together, my sister is staying with her 2 kids. She recently got retrenched and can't afford the rent. Is she recognized as a wife? Can she claim half of the house? Or does she have the rights to go back to the house with the kids since she's currently unemployed? 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.