I was an employee at Handyman Services, ...

Asked by RVorts on 08-12-2020 14:25:12
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Northern Cape

I was an employee at Handyman Services, Hopetown for a few months.  One of the last jobs I did, was build and paint a kitchen cupboard for a client.  The paint on the wood did not dry, and the client was not satisfied. Now he is demanding money in lieu of the botched job, claiming that it was poor workmanship.  My salary was approx R333 per day, and he is claiming close to R20 000.

Some background:

1) My employer and I went to measure for the cupboard

2) I made the technical drawings

3) My employer did the quotation, bought the materials and provided transport

4) I built the wooden cupboard, painted it, and installed it, with some assistance from the employer and another employee.

How can I proceed.  It was not poor workmanship, but the paint did not dry.  There was also no primer provided for the wood, and the paint was "Steelclad", which I reckon is for steel, not wood.

Your advice is appreciated.


Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 09-12-2020 09:15:46

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

I think that the client's claim lies against Handyman Services, and not against you. You were just an employee of Handyman Services. So you must tell the client to contact Handyman Services to resolve the claim.

Also, I think that you having used the wrong paint does amount to poor workmanship. The client could therefore in theory claim the cost of fixing the issue from Handyman Services. 

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.