Good dayI got divorced in 2013 and on th...

Asked by YolandiW on 23-01-2021 13:37:32
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Western Cape

Good day

I got divorced in 2013 and on the final degree of divorce which were delivered to my ex husband stating the amount he must pay every month for maintenance towards our son. Im the primary carer of my son.

My ex husband hasnt been paying any maintenance since 2013 and not contributing towards our son.

I would like to know can i sue him for outstanding maintenance money from 2013 up until this year January.

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 25-01-2021 17:09:04

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Yes, you would be able to claim that money from him because you already have a court order and a court order only expires after 30 years. So all you would need to do is to get a writ of execution drawn up, and issued by court, and the sheriff can then attach his stuff.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.