I am paying for my children boy and girl...

Asked by Lucia on 25-01-2021 16:55:08
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Gauteng

I am paying for my children (boy and girl) for their school fees, all their school stationary and clothes, medical aid and my ex extra maintenance. 

Her financial profile has gotten stronger as she has been promoted and her salary has increased. She also has her new fiance living wiht her and her father bought the house from her so there is no more bond that she has to pay. 

Do I stand a chance to ask the family law or divorce law to have a look at both our income and expenses so that the maintenance of the children can be paid by both in a equal way

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 26-01-2021 10:03:10

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Yes, if your ex's financial profile has changed, there is a ground that you can apply (at the Maintenance Court) for a variation of the maintenance order.

Remember, the first question is how much do your children need. The second question is (assuming a 50/50 split) how much can you afford to pay.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.