I have been a single mother since my chi...

Asked by Zainap on 09-02-2021 22:33:33
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Western Cape

I have been a single mother since my child was born and have been providing for her alone. Because I work her retired grandparents looks after her. I recently got married and my child and I moved with my husband. My family has a very strong dislike for my husband. Recently my husband got upset and got into a little of a disagreement. My child. Heard him saying some things that was not nice and her grandparents now my parent refuse to give me back my child. These are both over 70 year old people and cannot even wash her hair for her. I go to my daughter every day to make sure she is okay and that she is seen to. These elderly grandparents cannot even do homework with my child. They bad mouth in front of my child and is refusing for her to come home even though she tells them that she is happy with her mom and wants to be with her. My question is what can I do. They gavean ultimatum divorce my husband and move back to them  or I can never have my child again in my possession. 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 10-02-2021 12:19:58

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

You are the child's mother, and you are the child's caregiver. If you want, you must go fetch your child from your parents. 

I don't know why you think that your parents have a say in where your child lives.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.