I would like some legal advice on the fo...

Asked by Monique on 12-02-2021 13:35:45
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

I would like some legal advice on the following. I have been in a relationship with my partner, I'm a graphic and website designer, 2years ago I decided to start a career as a freelancer and I included my romantic partner as they did not have a job at the time, my partner was not design inclined and I asked her to help me by managing the invoices, clients and help with marketing. I could have done this on my own but felt she needed to help contribute financially...as we where in a relationship all money was put in a pool which we shared. Although I had to do most of the work I did not mind at the time, as money was sent into one account which we both used to pay debts and live from. The company is not registered and there is no written agreement between us. The company also don't have actual worth as it was not very successful. There is no money in the business as income it got split per job. We broke up 6months ago but she still demands 50% of profits while not contributing to the business. I feel like a slave and want to start my own business, but where it gets tricky. I have 1 particular client that has been with us through the duration of the design business, The client was referred to us by a mutual friend. I have always been this client's trusted designer and I have formed a bond with him...I can not ask him to stay with the current business as there is no business without me, because I do the actual design work. What do I do about this client? 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.