Hi I need some advice as a single mother...

Asked by Jennifer on 07-04-2021 13:20:04
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Eastern Cape


I need some advice as a single mother......my 5 month old daughter does not know her father very well he only spends 20 minutes with her on a friday....he also does not pay maintenance and only buys milk and nappies weekly....when i ask for clothes or anything else he either forgets like he says or im lucky to receive it 4 to6 weeks after i asked for her needs...he and his family also drinks alot and now he and his mom is pressuring me to send her to another town for a weekend but when they see her at my home she only cries and they cannot calm her and just give her.....what are my rights about visatations at 5 months out of the town we live in? I cannot have a conversation with the father as he only badmouths me and then he gets his mother to sms me continuasly making demands....yet for 5 months they had no interest untill now suddenly they never even ask to see her before today and never asked how she is doing as she was born premature in icu for 2 weeks and still not well but never offer support or even ask about her health.....please advice as the demanding to take her this weekend

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 08-04-2021 10:04:57

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

In my opinion, you need to do what's best for your baby, and 5 months old is very young to travel to another town for a whole weekend without you, as the mom, being there. If you feel that it is not in the baby's best interest to travel, you need to say No. Tell them that they can come visit the baby here, but you won't let the baby travel out of the town that you life in.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.