Please can I get advice on our current s...

Asked by AnastasiaM on 12-02-2021 13:41:30
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

Please can I get advice on our current situation.In October 2019, we signed an offer to purchase a property in Newlands West. We proceeded to apply for a homeloan to which we were approved. In December 2019 we were requested to pay both attorneys (Transfer/Bond), this was paid by us.We had a verbal agreement with the seller that we can move into the property by March 2020 without being charged a rental as the property was being vandalized due to it being empty. That seemed like a good idea at the time as we thought that the property would be transferred within a month or so. To make the property liveable we had to renovate it, which we did.It was only after the transfer attorney attempted to lodge, we found out that the extension to the property was not passed and therefore could not be transferred. We were receiving an invoice from the seller for utilities used, this was paid on a monthly basis. In July/August we were harassed by the seller who now wanted rent. We agreed to pay rental but only up until December 2020 as we have agreed to buy the property and not rent it furthermore they did not disclose to us that the extension to property was not passed and the transfer will be delayed.We have managed to obtain transfer In January 2021. The seller is now harassing us for January 2021 rental which has now increased by R1000. This was not agreed to & I feel we have been more than understanding throughout this ordeal as the monies that were paid as rental could have been paid towards our bond. Furthermore. if they had disclosed that the property was not passed and would take 15 months to transfer, we would not have committed ourselves.Please can you provide us with advice as to what can be done in such a situation.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.