I have received a summons for an unpaid ...

Asked by Jannie on 25-02-2021 09:51:27
Question posted in the National Credit Act Law category relating to Western Cape

I have received a summons for an unpaid loan from a bank.

I want to defend, but I now need a lawyer to asssist with this case.

What defence do I have if I could no longer efford the loan reayments due to a loss of income?

The summons was issues with the bank not having all my particulars like phone number or email.

Also, the bank lost the original agreement, so how can this be valid in court?

Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 27-02-2021 20:34:41

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

The bank doesn't need the original agreement. The bank can just convince the court that a copy is good enough. 

I don't know what defence you would have. Surely if you couldn't pay the bank, then you are in breach?

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.