hi In Janiary 2019 i entered inro a cont...

Asked by clarencem on 02-03-2021 20:25:36
Question posted in the Consumer Protection Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal


In Janiary 2019 i entered inro a contract with Mtn on 24 month data and airtime contract.

Since then i have paid the bills without fail.I received an email from MTN stating that i was due for an upgrade but i never acted on it . The email doesnt state anything else.

As i wasnt interested in upgrading my contract i automatically asaumed that the contract  would continue on a month to month to month contract based on the terms in the contract .

To my disbelieve Mtn billed me R4200 for 2 contracts that i have been paying R700 a month and no one from Mtn asked me if i was agreeable to the new terms as they claim that my contract had discounts. 

No one told me of the new charges that would be used on my 2 cellphone numbers .

please help as i dnt have the moneu to pay and feel that Mtn should have gotten consent from me before they started charging me out of bundle charges 

please help 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 07-03-2021 12:08:51

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

There is no way that MTN would do this - are you sure that the charges are not a scam?

There is no way that MTN could legally give you a second contract. Or do you already have 2 contracts? The data and airtime contracts?

The only thing that can happen is that your current contract extends on a month-to-month basis until you cancel it. 

If your data contract expires, then MTN can charge you out of bundle rates. You should look at this!

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.