In July 2019, I was living with my Mom a...

Asked by Malcolm on 24-03-2021 19:28:19
Question posted in the General Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

In July 2019, I was living with my Mom and Dad. I was working online and from home. It was during this time that my father and I made a verbal agreement which was witnessed by my Mom who states it as being fact in the event that she might need to testy. The agreement made between my father and I was that I wou7ld contribute half the monthly installments on the car my Dad had recently purchased as I was about to buy my own vehicle but my Father insisted we pay his car off together and we could share the car. Every month I paid via online banking into his account along with the monthly rent I was paying on a monthly basis. 

To cut a long story short, about 6 months ago my father left the house, abandoned my Mom, and took his pension and the car which I had been helping to pay all along, and he moved to Durban. 

Is there a chance given the monthly installments and circumstances, that I may be eligible for a refund from my Father considering he went back on his word and left me without a car or a cent? 

Thank you for your time. 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.