HiI have a tenant who is renting my hous...

Asked by Anonymous on 03-04-2021 16:16:12
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng


I have a tenant who is renting my house since December 2020, she stay with her husband and two kids. Agreed rental amount for three bedroom house, open plan kitchen and lounge, double door garage and paved house, is R4500 plus a deposit of R4500.00. The husband signed the lease agreement where is states that for late payments, will charge a 10% interest. When they both occupied the property, they didn't have enough to cover for the deposit, so they paid half and we agreed that it should be paid all by end of February, till today, they haven't paid the rest of the outstanding deposit and they missed to pay their rent for the month of March, only paid now in April 2021, meaning for March and April R9000.00

Am I been unfair in terms of the interest charge even though the agent expalined it to them that, irrespective of their financial problems and they agreed, today, they dont want to pay.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.