I started playing a bit with an online g...

Asked by Pokymon on 08-04-2021 13:01:55
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape

I started playing a bit with an online gambling site. Made deposits and won some money. I now got an email from CDPC SARB Exceptions saying such transactions are not permitted. They require written confirmation as to whether or not the list of transactions occurred and if so the reasons for the transactions as well as why.

Im not sure what to answer or in how much trouble I could get. I was really not aware that it is such an offense to gamble online.

Please assist.

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 09-04-2021 09:13:03

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

You're not allowed to gamble online - not in SA, and not in other countries. SARB has obviously checked your credit card reports against known gambling websites and are picking on you. 

You can't really get into trouble, but you can't claim any winnings. So maybe what you should do is to STOP gambling, and then tell them that you are not gambling anymore, and you promise not to gamble online again.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

Message from the client

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.