Good afternoonI need advice on the follo...

Asked by Stephanie on 20-06-2022 14:24:38
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Mpumalanga

Good afternoon

I need advice on the following matter (which may seem strange to some people)

My husband got accused of having an affair last year and the lady is now claiming that he is the father of her child.  As a result he lost his job in December 2021 and it has put a lot of strain on our relationship and marriage.

The baby was born on 1 March 2022 and the mother agreed before the birth that paternity tests would be done.  But after the birth she refused.  I realise that it may seem like he is not the father, but I know they had an affair and he admitted to me that he told her mother and family that he is the father.  of course now he denies all of it and claims that he only admitted to her family that he is the father because he felt sorry for her.

I have tried to convince him to force her to have the paternity tests done in order to clear his name, but he refuses and says that he does not have the finances to have the tests done.

Is there a way that he can force her to have the tests done and what is the cheapest way of having it done?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.