I am a tenant renting an apartment that ...

Asked by normandy on 09-04-2021 16:55:58
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Western Cape

I am a tenant renting an apartment that is on the market for sale. It is not uncommon for Estate Agents and also their clients to video film the interior of the apartment without my consent (that includes my person and my possessions inside the apartment). Do you know if this is legal in South Africa when the appointment was to view the property and no mention was ever made that they intended to also film the interior? I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 12-04-2021 16:35:58

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

There is no law that says that an owner can't video the inside of an apartment, or that he can't. It is simply up you the parties to decide what can/can't happen. My feeling is that if you let the agent in and allowed them to film the inside, you've basically consented to it taking place. 

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.