Hi there,On the 26th of February, I paid...

Asked by Neomngo on 20-04-2021 15:05:44
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng

Hi there,

On the 26th of February, I paid a attorney (chosen by the seller and agent) money into the trust account for a property which was misrepresented. On the 3rd I call the attorney to cancel the sale which he then indicated that the money was in their account and was due to be transferred on that day. Since then they have been telling me stories and its over a month now and they do not want to refund me my money. They taking me from piller to post and don't want to give me my money.

What measures can I go to in hopes to get my money back. I paid R650000 for the property and R19500 for the transfer costs.



Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 21-04-2021 12:25:02

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

What you need to do is to formally cancel the sale agreement, in writing, and demand the repayment of your deposit. 

If the seller does not accept your cancellation, then you will need to apply to court for a declaratory order that you were within your rights to cancel the sale agreement and get your money back. You'll need to cite the seller as the first respondent and the conveyancing attorneys as the second respondent.

What you can also do is to tell the conveyancing attorneys to pay you back, or be included in a court case.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.