Hi there,I'm looking for a little advice...

Asked by JasonL on 28-04-2021 11:26:03
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Gauteng

Hi there,

I'm looking for a little advice concerning the will of my step-mother. My father died 21 March 2019, his will stipulated that his estate be transferred to his wife, Z.

She too passed shortly after and her estate was finalised earlier this April (2021). In her will my brother, Jared (biological son of J) was excluded from her will.

In my father's original will my brother was to receive R350 000, and I was to get R750 000.

In my step-mother's will I received R600 000 paid into my bond, and my brother received nothing. My bother and I were kept in the dark as to what was going on with our parent's wills until the day it was finalised. My step-sister, Nikki, dealt with the law firm involved.

My brother has no qualifications and has been without work for several years, only working intermittedly from time-to-time as a waiter or barman when he was able to gain employment.

J's will was changed on the 28 February 2019. The short time he lived after that, he lost much of his mental faculties and was no longer able to communicate coherently.

Z's will was changed on the 16 April 2019, after my father's death.

Is it right that Jared was exluded from the will?  I just need a little advice as to wheather this is something I and my brother can pursue?

Thanking you for your time,


If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.