A family consist of 3 siblings, elder si...

Asked by Maqulab on 16-10-2014 12:52:22
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng
Question value: R 160.00

A family consist of 3 siblings, elder sister a brother and younger sister. The father is the last parent who passed away last year, the house is registered under father's mother name who is a grandmother of the 3 siblings, the father did accept it but never changed the house to his name, basically the house is still under the grandmother's name, the father verbally mentioned that the house must belong to a boy since he is a man as african culture states that the man is the one to carry the surname of the family foward and grow it bigger rather than a woman who will be married and change a surname. This house must not be sold it serves as a family house even when sisters get divorced at times they must be welcomed back home to their origin surname.

Which law defines this situation with clear court findings (proceedings). My I please get a thorough explaination regarding that law, I am not sure if is custom law or what?

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.