Dear,I lost my job and is unemployed sui...

Asked by vanniekerkjp on 21-05-2021 17:10:05
Question posted in the Consumer Protection Law category relating to Western Cape


I lost my job and is unemployed suince 1 June 2020. I am struggling to get a job due to the covid pandemic.

I have used my savings to maintain my monthly expenses from 1 June 2020 till middle December 2020. All my savings are now depleted. I have made arrangements with the banks (payment holidays).

My current problem is with MFC, a vehicle loan. They gave me a 3 month contract extension (Dec - end March). Unfortunately I still don't have an income, but I have made an arrangement with one of MFC's consultants to pay R2000 pm till I get a job. This R2000 pm is coming from my son-in-law.

Now the bank (MFC) doen't want to accept the R2000 pm (after I had made 2 x R2000 payments - March and April) and wants to take my vehicle or I have to surrender it. If I don't want to surrender they will take me to court.

My question is: Taking my financial situation in to account and my effort to make some payments, does the bank have the right to reject my payment offer and demand that I surrender the vehicle? My financial situation will not be for ever, so as soon as I have an income again I will make the full monthly installment.

Me and my wife are depending financially on my son-in-law. I also need the vehicle to attend job interviews. Currently I have 3 possible job opportunities.

Can you please advise. I will really appreciate it. 

Kind regards


If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.