I am 13% shareholder in a not for profit...

Asked by whitehousehold on 23-05-2021 21:10:20
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

I am 13% shareholder in a not for profit Pty that owns one asset (a small holding). 

What will it cost me to draft a  'sale' of the shares to my mother (for a $1 transaction) who is also one of the family shareholders residing in Johannesburg.

I just want to get this off my name as I left the country 27 years ago and not interested in maintaining all the paperwork and annual returns.

1) How much will it cost?

2) How long will it take?

3) soonest it can be done?

Regards Michelle  White520 505 1965 (text)

Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 25-05-2021 00:09:54

Hi there, 

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

This is a request for information so that I can understand your question and give you a proper answer.

What are the last 2 digits of the company's registration number? 07/08?

Does your current shareholders agreement contain a pre-emptive clause saying that you need to offer your shares for sale to all of the shareholders, equally? Or can you sell simply to your Mom?

Awaiting your further information.

Att. Patrick

Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 25-05-2021 11:00:50

Hi again,

Perhaps it would be easiest if you sent me some of the company documents to my email address, ***BLOCKED-EMAIL-ADDRESS***, so I can have a look at them?

Att. Patrick

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.