Good dayI hope you can assist me. I rece...

Asked by AAnderson11 on 28-05-2021 12:27:55
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Eastern Cape

Good day

I hope you can assist me. I received a summons from our court in Uitenhage from my attorney to claim for legal fees. I want to know if there is a way to dispute this? This took part from 2017 till 2020. 

A person collided into me and was held liable for the damaged in the small claims court. This person only paid a few times and neglected to pay any further, thus I involved attorneys to deal with the matter.

In this event, there were back and forth disputes with making payment arrangements btw him and me. Then the person passed away.

The attorneys were struggling to get hold of his ID number to get hold of his death certificate so that i could claim out of his estate, but nothing has come of this.

Now i am kept liable for the legal fees of all this. How can i dispute this and id there a way to dispute this or should i just admit to the costs and arrange a monthly installment?

Kind Regards

Angelique Anderson (***BLOCKED-EMAIL-ADDRESS***)

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 29-05-2021 21:34:27

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

I'm sorry, perhaps I don't understand. On what basis do you want to dispute his/her fees? Did he/she do the work, or not?

What you can do is to ask the attorney to draw up a bill of cost and have it taxed by the Taxing Master. Perhaps that's a first step in order to confirm that the fees are fair and reasonable.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.