Good day,I am currently having a hard ti...

Asked by Shaunielle on 10-06-2021 01:55:22
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Mpumalanga

Good day,

I am currently having a hard time with my rental agency. My husband and I was renting a property for just over two years with an excellent track record of paying on time. However the agency changed banking details twice in this time. The first time we were notified by email and the second time we were not which resulted in our payments being reversed, which unfortunately was not noticed on our part until we received a letter of demand from the agencies lawyer. We accepted responsibility and requested via email to set up a payment arrangement to suit both parties. All the agency responds with is with a letter of demand. The second issue is the agency gave us notice to vacate due to the owner wanting to do renovations. We accepted as we were not happy with the agency and the house. The week we were supposed to move lockdown happened. We arranged to rent on a month to month basis until we were ready to move. I gave a full months notice. Now the agency is forcing us to pay for two months notice. I do not know what more to do.

Shaunielle Young 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 12-06-2021 17:54:03

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

If you were on a month-to-month rental, and you gave a full months' notice, that's all you need to do! No penalty can be charged.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.