HiI have enlisted the services of Dean d...

Asked by IchiroF on 21-06-2021 11:33:41
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape


I have enlisted the services of Dean du tiot of  emco projects to remodel my kitchen. I've paid the R25000 deposit,  he has sent put carpenters to take measurements. Both these actions took place weeks ago almost 2 months now. Because of failure to start, I've decided to find another contractor to do my kitchen. I have requested him to return my deposit, I emailed him, whatsapp him, tries calling. He has replied. 

What legal steps can I take to recover my deposit. 



Further information relating to Question:

After the past few weeks he and I have been back and forth about starting withy kitchen, he current excuse has been that the builders are busy on another and when they finish up there they will start with my kitchen. That howervw6has been many weeks now and still ko start

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 22-06-2021 21:07:33

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

You need to cancel the agreement with him in writing, and then demand the return of your deposit. If (when) he doesn't pay, you need to issue a summons out of the small claims court. 

You take the matter to the Small Claims Court and issue summons from there. You need to do this without an attorney that will save you time and money. You can read up here www.justice.gov.za/scc/scc.htm to find out more information from the Department of Justice's website.

You can see www.smallclaimssa.co.za for details on where to find a court near you and you can then institute the action.

The good part is that it is a quick, cheap and simple procedure.

The other good part is that attorneys are not allowed there.

Essentially the company will need to send a director / manager to defend the claim! Much easier for you. 

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.