HiI signed a 6 months contract with my l...

Asked by AngeliqueS on 22-06-2021 00:32:30
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Western Cape


I signed a 6 months contract with my landlord last year.

When I signed they accepted my animals. Throughout the period of my stay I had many complains about my rabbits eating her plants. She asked me to put gas up so my rabbits can't go to the other side (which I was told that it's part of my place). Whenever the one escaped she took her hose and wet him. I was told to make plan as he is escaping. I cost me R1300+ to put up a fence out of my own pocket. 

My contract expired and I asked to renew and she said we'll rather work on a month to month contract. I obviously has nowhere to go so I said okay. In this week they had a problem with my pets again saying no they want to see whether the cables are chewed after I told them it's not. He had a look in my flat in order to find the cables perfectly fine.

Obviously it's been going on a while where they had a problem with my rabbits. I decided to look for another place but now they want me to give a 30 day notice or I won't get my deposit back.

I have to move end of the month to the new place. Do I have any rights in order to get my deposit?

Thank you

Angelique Swart

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.