I need advice on an issue I have.. I wen...

Asked by Marang on 23-08-2021 10:17:11
Question posted in the National Credit Act Law category relating to Gauteng

I need advice on an issue I have.. I went through a financial deep last due to Covid which led my family loosing one salary. As result we struggled some of the repayments that we had with creditors. Applied for debt review, however later decided to cancel it. Fell behind in vehicle payments, informed the creditor of the financial issues and was also making payments (sometimes it was not full amount but made payment) towards the vehicle. Financial situation turned around mid this year and reached out to the creditor to make payment arrangements. I made bulk make payment to have my arrears amount reduced. However was told that I was issued with summons (which I never received) and that the court have approved their request. I have been continuing to make full payments thereafter. I also lodged a a case with the ombudmans beciase my interest rate was changed from variable to fixed which I requested the ombudmans to investigate. The outcome has not been finalised on that. However the creditors now wants to collect the vehicle via sheriff.

With all that said above what can I do or what options do I have? 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.