Asking on behalf of my mother. We have b...

Asked by Boitumelo on 30-08-2021 17:30:51
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng

Asking on behalf of my mother. We have been staying in this property for over 25 years and also have made some renovations on it. The agreement between my mother and the owner's only surviving son was that we maintain the property and he will take care of the municipal bill. We haven't heard from him in 20 years and also found out that the municipal rates and taxes are in arrears. The owners passed away and the house was left with the son. Can my mother gain ownership of the house and what is the process? The arrears are over R90000

Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 31-08-2021 15:43:09

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

No, I don't see how your mother can gain ownership of the house, except by purchasing the house from the son. She can't force the son to sell the house to her. 

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.