Good dayMy husbands car is getting repos...

Asked by Laurel on 14-09-2021 15:01:12
Question posted in the Consumer Protection Law category relating to Gauteng

Good day

My husbands car is getting repossessed. The debt collectors called and say they will be repossession the car. Standard bank says its too late for payment arrangements. Is there anything we can do to prevent this. We want to make payments arrangements and keep the car. Please help

Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 15-09-2021 11:57:35

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

Has Standard Bank got a Court Order which will allow the sheriff to collect the car?  If yes, then there is basically nothing that you can do.

If there is no Court Order, then you don't need to hand over the car to debt collectors. They will demand this and that from you, but unless they have a Court Order, you are within your rights to tell them to get lost. They can't just take the car; they have to convince you to give it to them.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.