Good morning, I would like some assistan...

Asked by Junior on 19-10-2021 11:32:14
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Gauteng

Good morning, I would like some assistance in suing a parent for using a child's funds without consent. the funds did not come from the parent but from the Road Accident Fund and the parent used it for their own personal needs such as extending their house and using it as additional income. The parents then, later on, kept asking the child to help them out with buying things in the house, making payments towards contracts and school fees with their own money, not the money that they had taken from the child.

The child later asked for the money back and the parent said that they don't have the money and that they would have to sell the car (which the child gave them money to buy for the benefit of the family) in order to recover some of the funds. is it possible for the child to take legal action against the parent and obtain ownership of the vehicle too?

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 20-10-2021 12:55:51

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

How old was the child when the RAF claim was settled? How old is the child now?

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.