Good DayI have a son whose father is abs...

Asked by KimL on 19-10-2021 14:20:10
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

Good Day

I have a son whose father is absent 

He has been contributing a small amount towards looking after him however its not nearly enough as the expenses are more than this 

The father has been trying to avoid paying more. He is not on the birth certificate.

He uses the fact hes not on the birth certificate to get out of paying towards my sons expenses 

Please advise

Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 20-10-2021 12:54:51

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

Why is the father not on the birth certificate? 

You are entitled to apply for child maintenance from the father, but you will need to prove that the father is actually the father of your child. This is why most people want the father's name on the birth certificate. 

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.