Hi, I am needing legal advice on a debt ...

Asked by Leanne on 20-10-2021 10:52:22
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Eastern Cape

Hi, I am needing legal advice on a debt my husband has with a previous employer. 

The previous employed payer for him to do his trade test on condition that he worked for them for 2 years after. He completed his trade test in November 2014 and the following year he failed a drug test at work. He was called in and told there would be a hearing. He attended the hearing but I am not sure he fully understood what was being explained and he told them he would rather leave his job because of embarrassment. They accepted his resignation and proceeded with legal action to retrieve the costs of the trade test in march  2016, a year after he left.

He started paying in july 2018 because according to the lawyer they did not know where we lived, but we live in a small town so everyone knows where everyone lives.

There are a lot of expenses in the statement that we are not sure of and don't understand why we have to pay them. 

He continued to pay until April 2020 when he lost his job due to drug addiction.

He went to rehab and returned in October 2020. 

He got his current job back, in March/ april 2021 but not permanent staff yet. 

We have offered to continue paying the amount he was paying before but the lawyers are not accepting that. 

What should we do?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.