Greetings... I was married a civil marri...

Asked by Anonymous on 26-10-2021 23:32:22
Question posted in the Insurance Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

Greetings... I was married a civil marriage to the policy holder that is insured with the Liberty Life. The insurers called wanting to know more information about the next of kin's policy holder.  I then gathered the information which are as follows:

2 older daughters before marriage,  with different mothers. Of which I raised the second born from when she was 2 years old till date. 

1 daughter that we had under marriage, and 1 Daugther with the girlfriend which he meet around his working area.

His girlfriend is not participating on the case, trying to cut out me and other children from benefiting. 

I on my side havesubmitted all the required documents.  Then was later excluded without any explanations while still wanting me to help them get the policy holder's tax number... of which is inactive and requres me to open a state account while at the bank request me to have a letter of authority from court.

Please help explaining

1)what is due to me

2)how to get the letter of authority 

3) doese she have a right to oppose me

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 30-10-2021 14:30:02

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

If you were divorced from the deceased, and if the deceased was NOT supporting you financially, then you wouldn't have a claim against the policy. 

The daughters would, and if the girlfriend was being supported by him, then she would as well.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.