How do I go about adopting my 5 year old...

Asked by Anonymous on 30-05-2019 21:51:21
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

How do I go about adopting my 5 year old nephew? He has lived with me since he was 3 months old. Both his mother and father have not been involved in his upbringing thus far. His mother left him in the care of my brother (the father) when he was 3 months, who then left him with my parents and I, claiming he would be more involved once he found a job. His mother has had no contact with him at all for 3 or more years. His father is abusive and has been arrested for assaulting his current wife.

I reside with my elderly parents. I am 26 years old and unmarried. I do not intend to marry or have children of my own. I have a monthly income of R9000. How can I adopt him?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.