The situation:I own two small holding pr...

Asked by TimStiff on 13-08-2018 11:55:58
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape
Question value: R 0.00

The situation:

I own two small holding properties in Gordons Bay.

The first property of which I own 100% has a swimming pool, from which I run a swim school with a partner. The property has a municipal valuation of about R2.5 Million

The second property I own 50% of with the above partner. The property has a municipal valuation of about R2.1 Million. I paid for the complete property.

The swim school is a sole proprietor in the above partner’s name.

The partner and I were romantically involved, but are now just business partners in the swim school.

I live on the first property and she lives on the second.

I would like to have an agreement with her that in the event of my death that she purchases the first property from me (and possibly the second as well). The best way to fund this purchase would be for the sole proprietor swim school to take a life insurance policy out on my life to purchase the property from my estate. I am 60 years old.

Can you help with an understanding of whether this is practical and what type of agreement would be needed?

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.