Hi my name is Siya, I'm currently in a p...

Asked by Vill on 11-11-2021 16:01:34
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng

Hi my name is Siya, I'm currently in a process of buying a house in Soweto but I suspect that the company that is selling the house is scamming me. I'm buying the house from a company known as Soweto Home Buyers which is a company that buys houses, renovate them and sell. The reason I suspect that I'm being scammed it's because they requested me to pay the transfer and bost costs to them and they will later pay those transfer and bond cost for me. This is because the sellers (Soweto Home Buyers)and I agreed on the offer to purchase that.

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 15-11-2021 21:26:51

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

No! You must NOT pay the transfer and bond costs directly to the company. Definitely NOT. You need to pay those costs to a duly appointed conveyancing attorney who you have confirmed are admitted attorneys!

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.