I live and own an apartment and have nei...

Asked by Hex on 18-02-2022 06:09:13
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

I live and own an apartment and have neighbours living above me. What are my rights with regards to the upstairs neighbour using a water pump on their geyser at 5:00am sometimes 5:30am? There is a water pressure problem in the apartments and that is why some opted to install motors on the geysers..

I reached out to body corporate to request they either put a noise cancelling box or some kind of material on it, so that we cannot hear it.. Or to at least switch on the pump from 7:00am to 22:00PM..

The answer that was given to me, was that no rule can be enforced on the usage of the pump as it pertains to the persons health, hygiene and well being.

But what about my well being and health, not getting the rest i need, because of the constant noise?

What are my legal rights.

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 18-02-2022 08:51:53

Hi there and thank you for your question, 

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow-up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread. 

If there is a general issue with water pressure in the apartments, and if the BC has previously given owners permission to install water pumps, then I don't see how you can force the BC to tell the owners to remove the pumps. That's just the first thing. 

I also don't see how the BC can dictate to owners what times of the day they are allowed to use the water pumps, because as I understand it the water pump comes on automatically if you draw water from the geyser. So, if your upstairs neighbour showers at 5am, then his/her water pump would turn on at 5am and operate for the duration of the shower? Then turn off.

So, if I understand the situation correctly, the real issue is that your neighbour wakes up very early. 

Can't you speak to your neighbour directly and explain the situation to them, and say that you are happy to pay the costs of somebody coming out to put a box / sound proof material around the water pump to hide the noise? You could say that it would make the noise softer for both the neighbour and you - so both parties could benefit. 

This is, realistically, the best way to deal with the situation.

Also, because the water pump has been installed in the neighbour's apartment, the BC can't control it, or work on it. The water pump belongs to the neighbour. So trying to get the BC to deal with the problem, won't work. 

What the BC could do, however, is to speak to the neighbour and make the above suggestion, and then you offer to pay for the box / sound proof material?

If there is a part of the answer which you need more advice on, or clarity please continue in this same thread instead of opening a new question. 

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted to be answered. I hope you found my answer helpful, and you have finished asking your questions, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button in order to mark the question as closed.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.