My friend and I are in business and both...

Asked by EugeneL on 24-05-2022 09:26:28
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape

My friend and I are in business and both our names appear on the business documents now she wants me out but we have a contract with a client and she paid me a salary and kept the balance of the money for her personal use. Now she wants the contract for herself and wants me out of the picture can she do it? Is she allowed to change anything without my consent?

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 12-06-2022 20:27:30

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

No, she can't just remove your name from the business, especially if the business is a company. If you are both shareholders and directors, she can't just kick you out. You are both entitled to receive profits from the business. But you will need to explain a little more as to the type of business you have.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.