Hi my name is Lesliei am the father of m...

Asked by leslie bowles on 22-07-2022 08:03:48
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

Hi my name is Leslie i am the father of my son Brentan Bowles--he was working at Omnia fertilizer company in sasolburg--as an apprentice electrician --he was working on a saturday morning repairing lighting in a sub station --he was electrocuted and died -- The company says that as an apprentice -he has no life insurance from the company --he died on the 12 march 2022-- The company was generous and paid for the funeral expenses-- What i am asking is --Is there any worksman compensation from the dept of labour --if someone dies in an industrial accident --the investigation results are still pending from the dept of labour --it is now 4months --i dont know how long it usually takes --myself i am an electrical technician working at arcelormittal -- and from the little bit of information i got from his work mates is that the lighting he was working on was only domestic 220v--he was working on a scaffold which was in a wet enviroment -he had a qualified senior electrician who was supervising him --who later returned to the sub station to find him dead on the scaffold-- what can i do to make sense of the situation thanks Leslie

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.