Good day, My Father passed away and his ...

Asked by Yolande Venter on 06-09-2022 07:46:43
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng

Good day, My Father passed away and his house was left to me, September 2020 i signed a OTP, the buyer of the house did not get his things in order to finalize the purchase, i got a new offer about 6 months ago, March 2022 the lawyer doing the sale advised me that i will brake the contract if i accept the new offer that was 70 000 more than the first buyers offer, this was more than a year after i given the buyer time to sort out his things. I asked the laywers on several occations what i can do to get out of the contract with the potential buyer, with no advised from them, the buyer moved into the house and stayed there without paying a sent occupational rent. When i advised the laywers that i want this contract cancelled,  they contacted the potential buyer and he made a plan to get the funds, actually he sold the house to another person. This is now 2 years later, i can sell the Property for more now, the value off the Property went up, he is also offering me R20 000 for 24 months on occupational rent, i dont think this is reasonable.The laywers keep on telling me that there is nothing i can do, i feel that they are not on my side.I really need advise, i am unemployed and can not afford a lawyer.

Is the OTP still binding or can i cancel the sale after 2years.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.