Hi there.I am buying a house and the sel...

Asked by danielacton on 26-01-2018 11:15:19
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng

Hi there.

I am buying a house and the seller says that the plans for the house have been lost by the council. The selling agent has agreed to have new plans drawn up, but I want to understand the risk that I am taking on by buying this house. The way I see it is thus:

1) If the plans are lost, new plans will have to be accepted by the council so there is no issue.

2) If they manage to find the plans (on microfiche, or some other archive), and those plans match the existing structure, there is no issue.

3) If they manage to find the plans (on microfiche, or some other archive), and those plans DO NOT match the existing structure, there is an issue. It is this scenario that I need to understand. What is my risk here? I understand there is possible punative action (I understand it to be a fine and/or being required to demolish parts of the house that are not on the plans).

Can you help me understand the risk here please? What are the size of the fines? How can I protect myself? The seller has moved countries and cannot solve this problem, so will sell the house without plans. I am okay to accept it in any scenario other than this scenario.

Thank you

Daniel Acton

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 28-01-2018 23:23:33

Hi there and thank you for your question,

If the plans are lost by the city council then you will need to be able to prove that your house (the house you're buying) has been built in accordance with approved plans. That means that you might need to be able to submit a copy of the plans (with the approved stamp) to the city. You might be able to contact (or as the current owners to contact) the builder who might have a copy, or the architect?

If nobody has any approved plans, then the city will need to accept that the house was built in accordance with approved plans. They won't be able to dispute your allegations that it was... so the city will then have no other choice but to accept the new plans and place those on file!

So, regarding (1) - yes.

(2) exactly.

(3) This is the same exact issue that ALL people who purchase a house face. That is why it is (to a large degree) quite important to check that the house has been built in accordance with approved plans. OR, to include a clause in the sale agreement in terms whereof the seller WARRANTS that the house has been built in accordance with approved plans. If it turns out that this warrant is false, then you can sue the seller for your damages to fix the house.

(3) part 2 - Yes, the city will order you to ensure that your house complies. This means that you need to get plans drawn up to match what has been built (I'm thinking of add-ons, built without plans). If there is a part of the building which CAN'T be approved (i.e. not in line with building code) then the city could force you to demolish that portion. In other words, get approved plans submitted or demolish.

You could sue the seller if they told you everything was above board and it wasn't.

If the seller has moved countries, the best that you can do is a warranty clause in the sale agreement. That would mean that you would need to sue the seller in the country he moves to ($$$$$) however that might be an option. The only other thing that you can do is to ensure that you are not over-exposed in your capital outlay.

Remember, the city will always give you the option of having plans drawn up if your house has been built correctly. No fines payable. Just get the plans in. The parts of the house which can't be approved, might have to come down.

If there is a part of the answer which you need more advice on, or clarity please continue in this same thread instead of opening a new question.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. I hope you found my answer helpful, and you have finished asking your questions, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button in order to mark the question as closed.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.