Good day. I would like to know if possib...

Asked by Anonymous on 03-09-2020 16:29:55
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Gauteng

Good day. I would like to know if possible to provide advice on the following. My brother was renting an apartment flat in Edenvale and left due to COVID 19. i am now taking care of him. i am also going to pay his outstanding rent. i am however concerned as the owner is charging commercial rates for the municipal services. the apartments are above some shops. is this allowed. he also did not have a valid contract and was renting month to month. he gave 15 days notice but landlord said it must be 30 days notice and now charging an additional month rental

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.