We bought a property to renovate, in a r...

Asked by ap2014 on 23-05-2014 15:54:14
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal
Question value: R 280.00

We bought a property to renovate, in a rural farming area close to Underberg. We had plans approved to renovate the house and did so accordingly. No problem there.

We have recently started to put up three rondavels, for staff accommodation, we were under the impression (mostly because every single property in our area has at least 5-6 rondavels for staff) that we didn't need to enter these on the plans, and have now been told to stop building and submit plans.

I want to know if this is correct, I also don't see why every other property can put up rondavels without submitting plans and we are suddenly told that we have to?

Please bear in mind that we do not have any services from our municipality, we are in a very rural farming area, there are no tar roads, no drainage, no water and we don't even have eskom electricity.


Ask your OWN Legal Question!

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 23-05-2014 16:16:06
Hi there and thank you for your question,

From what you've explained above, my advice is that the building inspector was correct in stopping you from completing construction of the rondavels.

The general rule is that if you build something that ends up "covering" any piece of land (be it a roof, or a rondavel, or a lapa, or even a wall), then you will need to have plans drawn up for the construction and approved before you can begin working.

This is not the case if you demolish a wall, and then construct a new wall in the same place, or demolish a pedestrian gate and then create a new gate - but it applies to almost everything else.

There is a really good website here (http://www.buildingregulations.co.za/) which explains in a lot of detail what you are allowed to do and what you are not allowed to do.

My advice is that you draw up the plans ASAP and submit them to your local municipality, and then show the submitted plans to the building inspector, and ask the building inspector if you can continue building based on the fact that you've submitted your plans. Normally they allow you to do so.

It doesn't matter that you don't receive services from your municipality - you still need to comply with the building regulations.

If there is a part of the answer which you need more advice on, or clarity please continue in this same thread instead of opening a new question.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. I hope you found my answer helpful, and you have finished asking your questions, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button in order to mark the question as closed.

Answer Accepted

This answer was accepted on 23-05-2014 16:25:41

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.