Hi! I am a tenant who has handed in my n...

Asked by AshrafR on 11-03-2021 11:54:55
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal


I am a tenant who has handed in my notice to vacate the property on 01 April 2021. The flat which i reside in has been sold by the letting agent.

i've been accomodating in the fact that i've alwasy allowed extra visits for the new owners to come through with their family even though we were in lockdown, however the letting agent forced his electrician to do work on the building at the same time that only an electrical inspection was going to take place. This resulted in my wife and infant only having breakfast at 2pm.

This naturally infuriated me as my good nature was taken advantage of.

My question: By law, do i HAVE to allow the pest control services to come through whilst my rental agreement is still valid? (expires 31 March 2021)

Further information relating to Question:

Apologies. i forgot to add the reason for pest control services to come through. This would be for them to give through a borer clearance.

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 11-03-2021 13:38:06

Hi there and thank you for your question, 

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow-up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread. 

If your lease agreement says that you need to give the landlord access to the property on notice or on request, then you would need to allow the pest control services guy come to do an inspection for the borer beetle certificate. 

Even if your lease agreement didn't say so, I think that you should take the high road here and allow the the pest control services guy come to do an inspection for the borer beetle certificate.

If there is a part of the answer which you need more advice on, or clarity please continue in this same thread instead of opening a new question. 

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted to be answered. I hope you found my answer helpful, and you have finished asking your questions, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button in order to mark the question as closed.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.