Good afternoon My husband had a minor ac...

Asked by Mashego on 15-05-2023 14:54:55
Question posted in the Insurance Law category relating to Gauteng

Good afternoon 

My husband had a minor accident, the car could still move but the light and fender of the car on the right were damaged,  which we reported to the police and called insurance on the spot.

The insurance called a tow truck to come move the car to their recommended panel beater for assessment.  Upon completion, they send us the quote and the insurance declined to fix the car. So we decided it would be best if we get the car back home and explore other ventures to fix it.

We contacted insurance to assist with communicating with the panel beater to release the car, and they said they did. But the panel beater is refusing to assemble the car unless there is a payment for reassembly ( which we were not aware as to why they chose to do an assessment that involved ripping the car apart). 

We are not sure as to how to go about this but surely it is illegal that we are being charged for reassembling a car that was taken to them via insurance and not informed there would be such charges.

Please assist

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.