Hi,I need legal assistance to deal with ...

Asked by Quicy on 09-09-2023 05:29:12
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape


I need legal assistance to deal with the South African Information Regulator and I've already lodged a formal complaint to the latter againt my Church and Regional Council, please. Regards, Quicy Jaftha

Further information relating to Question:

Yes, as per link below: https://acrobat.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:EU:5cf24146-acbe-4c6c-aea8-3668081f6565

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 10-09-2023 21:14:22

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

Please keep in mind that our discussions is for general information purposes only. Our engagement on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. 

Can you please explain what sort of assistance you are looking for?

Message from the client

Thank you, it's now for the first time that I'm able to respond as a result from stopages to access my account. Very frustrating!!

Your answer above is accepted subject to
you sending me your detailed qoute for your services, please? My main aim is that the Information Regulator should issue a compliance directive to the Church and Regional Council to give me access to me and/or send me copies/reports as requested on their respective PAIA FORMS 5.

Message from the client

FYI, again herewith link to response from the Info Regulator:


Message from the client

Please clarify the following aspects:

1) state your full name(s) and surname?;

2) what is the name of your legal practice?;

3) are my questions/request and follow-ups strictly confidential (not for public publication), if not please confirm total confidentially, please? and

4) when can I expect your response/quote for your services to deal with my case?

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 13-09-2023 09:55:59

Thank you for sharing the letter with me. I've read the letter and I think that the Regulator is 100% correct in the way that they are dealing with your complaint. Before the Regulator can prepare a report on the matter and make recommendations, they will need to conduct a full investigation. You therefore need to allow this process to take place. You can't jump the gun - so to speak. 

You've lodged a complaint against the church (in terms of PAIA) that they won't give you certain information. The Regulator needs to investigate the complaint before it is allowed doing anything further. Like their letter says, there could also be a settlement/conciliation process which takes place in an attempt to resolve the dispute. i.e. to get you the information you're looking for! 

I think that you must trust in the process, but at the same time understand that there is a process which needs to be followed and you must allow it to happen.

I think that you must read the Act and the Regulations with a view to understanding this process, and the timelines for everything happening. Then, you must attempt to keep the Regulator to these timelines. 

Answer Accepted

This answer was accepted on 14-09-2023 07:50:27

Message from the client

Thank you for your comments, I'll get someone else to act on my behalf with the Regulator.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.