Good day,Years ago l had a judgement put...

Asked by Natasha on 06-10-2023 21:23:53
Question posted in the National Credit Act Law category relating to Gauteng

Good day,

Years ago l had a judgement put on my name for an outstanding account with my bank.  Some time after the judgement the bank wrote off the debt and I have received a prescription letter for this debt.  I am now having a hard time removing it from my name because ITC wants a letter from the attorneys stating it is paid in full.  The attorneys are not able to give me a letter because the account was closed and the bank just tell me to speak to the attorneys who did the judgement.

Could you please give me some advice on how to handle this.

I have also found out in the meantime that the sherrif handed the summons to someone in Cape Town that I do not know.  I was living in Johannesburg at the time.  Are they allowed to simply put a judgement on my name without me having any knowledge of it?

I have paid all my accounts with my bank and dont owe them anything anymore but I truly feel like this was not handled correctly.

I would truly appreciate your assistance.  I have tried to search google but the internet has so much conflicting information.

Thank you in advance. 

Kindest regards,

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.