I have logged a written dispute woth Ga ...

Asked by Philip Ferreira on 01-11-2023 08:44:57
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Northern Cape

I have logged a written dispute woth Ga-Segonyana Municipality end January, 2023. I am disputing my water bill amount of R514 odd. 

During the month of January, we had stage 6 loadshedding. Kuruman's infrastructure are poor, and we had available water for maybe 4 hours a day, mostly at night after 22h00, for 3 weeks. The dispute arises from everytime when the pumps are running again, all the airbin the pipes runs through our meters, advancing the readings at an alarming rate. (I have video evidence) We are high up in town, and the whole town's air runs through our meters. Water finishes first, and gets back last.

Since logging the dispute, I have not received a single call or anything from Ga-Segonyana. In fact, mrs. Olyn advised me to pay, then they will investigate. I refused. But every month since February, they cut off our electricity because of the disputed amount. Then I have to call mrs. Olyn and ask to reactivate so we can buy electricity. 

Last night she told my that this is the last time, and I need to come in to sort it out. I feel that it is their responsibility to resolve this matter. I cannot take off work to do their jobs. 

How long can they nit do anything about it and get away with it? Going for 10 months now.

What do you advise please?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.